At Kaiser Permanente, everything they do centers around you. As a member, you can work with your primary care physician to develop a personalized plan focusing on wellness and prevention to help you achieve your health goals. You’ll also have access to member programs designed to help you be healthy, stay fit, and feel your best.
Kaiser Permanente is composed of Kaiser Foundation Health Plans (nonprofit, public-benefit corporations), Kaiser Foundation Hospitals (a nonprofit, public-benefit corporation), and the Permanente Medical Groups (for-profit professional organizations). The largest nonprofit health plan in the United States, Kaiser Permanente serves 8.7 million members in nine states and the District of Columbia.
What makes us unique is our integrated model of health care delivery. They are an integrated health delivery system, which means that they provide and coordinate the entire scope of care for our members, including:
- preventive care
- well-baby and prenatal care
- emergency care
- screening diagnostics
- hospital and medical services
- pharmacy services
As a nonprofit health plan, they are driven by the needs of our members rather than the needs of shareholders. They also believe that they have a responsibility to serve the communities in which they operate. Some of our community activities include:
- providing assistance to the uninsured and special populations
- training new health professionals
- introducing new delivery methods into the health care field
- developing and sharing better ways of caring for patients
Kaiser Permanente offers individual and family coverage for individuals who may be: self-employed, working for a company that does not offer a group plan, a student or recent graduate, overage or not covered on their parent’s plan, between jobs, waiting for an employer’s group coverage to begin, a part-time employee who isn’t eligible for group coverage, or an early retiree.
Here are just a few of the advantages Kaiser Permanente offers members:
- Our commitment that you’re in control of your health care decisions
- A diverse choice of plans and plan types
- Protection when you need it, as well as coverage for routine preventive health care needs
- Special services for members only, such as online access to your personal health record, e-mail connection with your doctor’s office, and online prescription refills
- Products and services targeted specifically to individuals, as well as to small, mid-sized, and large employers, plus Medicare-eligible individuals
- The trust and recognition that comes from decades of service to the communities they serve
- Strong, stable financial performance year after year, augmented by our reinvestment of earnings into our care delivery model and our community health programs
Our integrated health care system means that our doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and other health care professionals are all focused on one goal – our patients’ well-being. Since the Health Plan is integrated into health care delivery through our hospitals and medical offices, our doctors are empowered to work with you on vital decisions about your treatment without needing to defer to an outside decision-maker, such as an unrelated insurance company, for an approval – or denial – of care.
FACTS AT A GLANCE:
Founded In: 1945
Kaiser Permanente is a nonprofit, group-practice health plan with headquarters in Oakland, California. Kaiser Permanente aspires to be the world leader in improving health through high-quality, integrated health care. they are best known for our strong social purpose, our physicians’ responsibility for clinical care, and an enduring cooperation between the Health Plan and our medical groups.
California: Capital, Central, East Bay, Golden Gate, North East Bay, South Bay, Coachella Valley, Inland Empire, metropolitan Los Angeles/West Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego County, The Valleys, Tri-Central, Western Ventura County
Membership: 8.7 million
Network: Medical centers: 32, Medical offices: 416, Physicians: 13,729
Multilingual capabilities: At Kaiser Permanente, Spanish-speaking customer service representatives are available for members, as are licensed sales representatives for prospective members. Other language capabilities may be available upon request. Multilingual capabilities are also frequently available at our medical offices.